The basis of Velaayat-e Faqīh (Islamic Government) is exclusive adherence to Sharia, or Islamic law. Those holding government posts should have knowledge of Sharia (Islamic jurists are such people), and the country's ruler should be a Faqih who "surpasses all others in knowledge" of Islamic law and justice.
Page 59 Hokumat-i Islami by Imam Khomeini (ra).
10 Sayings of Imam Khomeini (ra)
1. “The slogan that politics is separate from religion comes from imperialist propaganda intent on preventing Muslim nations from playing a role in their fate.”
2. “The issue of the separation of Islam from politics is not something new for religious scholars. This issue was mentioned during the Ummayad era and strengthened during Abbasid era. Now, in recent times, with the intervention of foreigners in Islamic lands, they have accentuated this problem.“
3. “Some people just sit around in theological schools and tell each other that we cannot do these things; these affairs are not related to us. We must only pray and answer religious questions. These are a consequence of foreign inspiration. The results of years of imperialist negative propaganda that have penetrated the theological schools of Najaf, Qum, Mashhad, and other seminaries and resulted in depression, weakness laziness and leaves no room for development.
Constantly they apologize that they cannot undertake these tasks. These beliefs are wrong. What did those who now rule Islamic countries do that they cannot? Which one of them is superior to a normal and ordinary individual?”
4. "Sometimes, they say that let the religious scholars be busy with the mosque and alter in the same uniform, and leave politics to the emperor. This is a thesis which says that the mosque belongs to the pope (person having religious authority) and politics belongs to the emperor.”
and an Islamic government is a divine phenomenon that with its
implementation, children’s happiness is best guaranteed in this
world and the hereafter. Furthermore, it has the power to eliminate
oppressors and plunderers, corruption and aggression and to guide
people to the desired perfection. It is a doctrine that contrary to
non-monotheistic doctrines, intervenes and supervises individual and
social, material and spiritual, cultural and political, military and
economic spheres and does not leave any point however, minute,
concerning training of human being and society as well as national
and spiritual aspects unattended.”
leadership is not an honor and position; rather, it is a means for
implementing religious laws and establishing a just Islamic order.”
“Tying this world with the hereafter and religion with politics is
the most important mission of divine religions and this is the skill
of Islam and the doctrine of Qur’an. Of course, what is basically
the view of religion, is achieving the highest people of spirituality
and perfection: but to achieve this goal, in human society requires
the establishment of a government and the reform of a system of
7. "The Guardianship of Faqih is a Gift from Almighty Allaah to the Muslims."
8. "To secure the unity of the Islamic Ummat and to rescue and free the Islamic homeland from the occupation and influence of colonisers and their puppet regimes, we have no alternative but to form an Islamic Government."
9. "The government of Islam is the government of the Law, i.e., divine Law. The Law is the Quran and Tradition and rule; government is obedient to the Law."
10. "In Islamic Order, women, as human beings, can have active participation, along with the men, in building an Islamic society."